Colored Pencil on Grafix Dura-Lar with Priscilla Humay
- $45.00 - OMAM Member Price
- $50.00 - Non-Member Price
Thursday, Feb. 15, 2024 | 12:00 - 3:00pm
This class is designed for those who wish to learn how to draw on Dura-Lar Matte Film, a translucent polyester material. Drawing can be done on both sides of the film to give depth to your image. Colored Pencil works very well on this film. It is erasable, lays flat, and is archival. This workshop is for those with some colored pencil experience
Students are responsible for most supplies; please see list below.
STUDENT SUPPLY LIST:
- Reference image or photo (to be same size as you would draw on 9”x12”Dura-lar). This can be a detailed drawing indicating color, values, contours, shadow OR your own photo printed to the size intended OR instructor will provide the reference image.
- White cardboard, foamboard, or any white board – 9” x 12” or larger
- Color pencils, suggestions: Prismacolor, Faber Castell Polychromos, Caran D’ache, Pablos, in a wide range of colors
- Prismacolor Verithins in a wide range of colors
- Graphite pencils – 2B, 3B – if needed to enhance darks on the back side of film
- Eraser & tack-up eraser
- Hand-held pencil sharpener
- Optional: Mirror image of your reference image or photo (helps when you work on the back side).
The instructor will provide Grafix Dura-Lar® Matte Film (.005 medium weight, two-sided, 9x12), and additional supplies for use in class: colored pencils, smooth slip sheets, drafting brushes, fixative, reference photos. Students can either bring their own reference image or use one provided by the instructor.
About the Instructor
Priscilla Humay exhibits nationally, is in private and corporate collections, and is featured in major publications. She is a Signature Member of the Colored Pencil Society of America and served on its National Governing Board. Priscilla was a co-director of ARC, Chicago art gallery. Through the U.S. Department of Interior National Park Service, she was awarded two Artist in Residencies at the Big Cypress National Preserve in Florida. She taught at the College of Lake County IL, Chicago Botanic Garden, and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin TX. Her BFA is from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, MS from the Illinois Institute of Technology, and Post Graduate Study at Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic. In her own art, she loves to capture the essence of nature’s beauty and enjoys sharing this through teaching.
Registration will close when workshop is full.