Two-Part Colored Pencil Fox with Kathi Darby
- $65.00 - OMAM Member Price
- $72.00 - Non-Member Price
Tuesdays, April 30 & May 7, 2024 | 1:00 - 3:00pm
In this two-day colored pencil workshop instructed by Kathi Darby, we will draw a fox on drafting film and will learn techniques for both long and short fur which can be applied to many other animals. We will also learn some background techniques while working on both sides of the film, as well as the use of solvents to smooth, blend and create different textures. This is a fun piece and should be able to be completed in two sessions
Students are responsible for supplies; please see list below.
- Duralar double sided matte .005 drafting film or Grafix double sided matte drafting film, Size 9x12
- Drawing board or clipboard
- Pencil sharpener
- Erasers: Tombow mono zero round and rectangular, Factis or Vanish eraser, battery eraser
- Blenders: Blending pencil and/or blending stump (optional), Instructor will provide tissue and microfiber sponges
- Pencils: Prismacolor Premier is recommended, but any artist grade pencils will work, including Faber Castell, Derwent, Caran d”Ache, Holbein, Bruynzeel, Lyra or equivalent. (Brands NOT recommended: Crayola, Rose Art and store brand pencils.)
- Assorted dark and light oranges
- Dark and light yellows
- Dark, medium and light tans and browns
- Dark, medium and light grays
- Dark and light blues (cloud blue, powder blue or equivalents for lights)
- Medium bright reds
Registration will close when program is full.
About the Instructor
Kathi Darby loves teaching and looks forward to exploring different styles and techniques with her students. Her teaching credentials include colored pencil classes at the Flagler County Art League, Michaels, and Arts4All Florida, in addition to leading private lessons and workshops. She has a successful pet portrait business, Pets on Paper, and accepts private commissions. Her colored pencil artwork is hanging both in both public and private collections, and has been juried into several prestigious exhibitions. Kathi is a 13-year member of the Colored Pencil Society of America. She has has served on the CPSA St. Augustine Chapter Board of the for the past three years, and is also a member of the St. Augustine Art Association. She has studied with nationally recognized artists and CPSA members, including Barbara Dahlstedt, Gemma Gylling, Denise Howard, Amy Lindenberger, and Bonnie Haney. Kathi has also worked closely with Bill Shoemaker and Hanneke Jevons, and meets with a group of colored pencil artists weekly.
"I have been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil or crayon and love to show the colors of the world in a new light. To me, nature and art are intertwined and I love to capture those special moments that feature the wildly diverse life around us. I am mostly self taught, but have had the privilege of working with very inspirational and talented artists who were very generous in sharing their knowledge and techniques. My work has hung in art museums, private collections, a wide variety of shows and venues and, most importantly. folks have chosen to buy my work and hang it in their own homes. It's humbling and I am very happy to have the chance to give back by allowing others to explore their inner artist. I believe everyone can create their own visions of the things they love and I would love to help on that journey."